The holiday season is a time for celebration, family gatherings, and beautiful decorations. One of the most iconic and beloved decorations of the season is holiday lighting. From colorful strings of lights to illuminated outdoor displays, holiday lighting can add warmth and cheer to any home. However, it’s important to remember that holiday lighting can also pose safety hazards if not used properly. Here are some holiday lighting safety tips to help you enjoy the season safely:
- Choose the right lights – Always use lights that are rated for outdoor use when decorating outside. Indoors, make sure your lights are approved by a recognized testing laboratory such as UL.
- Inspect your lights – Before hanging your lights, inspect them carefully for any signs of damage such as cracked or broken bulbs, frayed wires, or loose connections. If you find any damage, do not use the lights and replace them instead.
- Don’t overload outlets – Avoid overloading electrical outlets by using multiple power strips or extension cords. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for maximum wattage and don’t exceed it.
- Use proper extension cords – Make sure the extension cords you use are rated for outdoor use and are in good condition. Keep them away from water and snow.
- Don’t leave lights unattended – Never leave your holiday lights on overnight or when you’re not at home. Turn them off before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Keep them away from flammable materials – Keep your holiday lights away from flammable materials such as curtains, paper, and decorations. Also, avoid placing them near anything that can easily catch fire such as dried-out trees and wreaths.
- Consider LED lights – Consider switching to LED lights, which use less energy and generate less heat than traditional incandescent lights. They are also more durable and longer-lasting.
By following these holiday lighting safety tips, you can enjoy a beautiful and safe holiday season. At Prasad Electrical Services, we are committed to helping you with all your electrical needs in the Bay Area. Contact us today to learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment with one of our licensed electricians.